Friday, May 16, 2014

Taking risks

Risks
With the sport of gymnastics, there's always a risk that you could get hurt. Even on the simplest of things done even the slightest bit incorrect could result in an injury, minor or major. Most gymnasts go through their fair share of injuries, both big and small. However, there are always the lucky few who just don't get hurt, and they are certainly lucky because of that. My younger sister, for example, is one of those lucky few. She has never been hurt and has never had to miss practices or competitions because of an injury. I am not one of the lucky ones, unfortunately. I get injured so often that it's hard sometimes to even think I'm related to my sister! My minor injuries aren't important but some of my major ones include two fractured tibias and a torn muscle in my knee that I am currently dealing with. 

What happens because of the risks taken
With injuries come doctors appointments, scans, and of course physical therapy. You eventually become a regular at your orthopedist's office and physical therapy seems normal after a while. MRIs and X-rays become just a part of life and you have more braces, boots, crutches, and prescriptions than you thought one person could have. In some cases, it is necessary for you to get surgery for your injury, but fortunately for me I haven't needed a surgery because of an injury. 

Positive outcomes 
Even though you may think you're going to die if you are out of the gym for too long, you don't. In fact, your body gets time to heal and rest itself, which sometimes positively impacts your return to the sport! Also, the time off allows you to get involved in other activities that you otherwise would not have been able to do because of gymnastics. And, of course, you become a master at keeping a positive attitude about your situation and are easily able to convince and tell people that you are fine and you are healing well even if that is not the case.

This week, I wasn't able to come up with something more interesting to write about but here is the best insight I have regarding injuries caused because of the risks taken by gymnasts while doing what they love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment